Other havChat 3.xx demo chat applets...
Note to IE and JAVA PLUGIN users: The Full Featured applets are signed to allow you to do things like save local copies of the whiteboard and, due to the way applets must be signed for IE and the Java PLUGIN, you will be prompted for additional applet privilege as the applet loads.
We certainly understand if this concerns you - but you can try the other demos below, all of which are bassed on the "Lite" applets which are NOT signed and do NOT require such additional applet privilege.
- Alternate Presentations: The remaining demos use one of the main havChat applets but with the presentation altered in some way using various applet parameters.
Call Center Demo - The Call Center demo applet represents what you might present to the general public in a call center or customer support chat use.
This demo presentation is provided as a demonstration of hiding certain applet fields (in this case, the USER list is hidden).
OR - if you prefer a live support type use, you might want to look at the havChat IM examples (right).
- "Invisible" Applet - is provided to demonstrate how one could use the auto-float feature to have a page (or frame) which has an alternate applet spec which cause the applet to pop open in a floated state. This demo auto-floats the applet on page load, but other control mechanisms (like auto-float on login) are also available.
- "Tiny Applet" - provides a (probably ridiculously) small applet presentation.
Be sure to Click the HELP Button to see What's New!
havChat version 3.4 has been released. Both the chat server and all chat applets are written completely in JavaTM and should work well on any platform that has a 1.1 or later VM.
Some Basic Feratures ...
- MULTIPLE APPLET CLIENTS: havChat includes Two basic chat applets as clients: Full Featured and "Lite" -- each comes in both TextArea chat display (single text color, selectabl;e text etc.) and multi colored chat display (a graphic display) -- and all come in both .jar and .cab forms. The Full Featured chat applets come in only signed format. The Lite applets are provided in both signed and unsigned formats. The various chat applets included range in size from approximately 40KB to just over 90KB.
- ROOM OWNER DEFINED ROLES: Beyond the basic roles implied by privileges like Admin, Moderator, Speaker, etc. - room owners can also define their own roles within a room. Such roles can be presented in applet parameterized color settings to make conversations more ledgible. Such user defined roles are also be made available to user written chat bot code.
- REMOTE SERVER for APPLETS: the havChat applets can be loaded from a server other than the one which is running the havChat char server. (only the signed formats).
- EXTERNAL USER-HANDLER: License owners can write and attach their own class for handling user info - for example, if you already have a community database of users and want the havChat chat server to read/write user info there rather than in the normal havChat user file structures.
- CHAT BOT (Filtering and Response): Room owners (applet directory owners) can write and attach their own bots to the havChat applets. Bots can implement processing to be done PRIOR to sending a user's message (like to apply a word filter) AND/OR processing to be performed when a chat message is received (like to allow the bot to respond when a staffer is not in the room).
- MASTER SETTINGS: Chat server owners can specify certain "master" settings which can override certain room attribute settings, thus restricting certain activities or limits that a room owner might choose. Master settings can be specified both as system wide AND for specific rooms (a Master setting for a specific room overrides the corresponding system-wide setting). Both system-wide and room level master settings are optional.
- SERVER-SIDE AND LOCAL CHAT CONTENT LOGGING: Chat session content can be logged on the chat server (per room) and/or on one or more users' local machines (user must have "Logger" privilege in the room to save a local log).
- PRIVATE MESSAGE CAPABILITY: the havChat chat applets provide several mechanisms for private chats -- user info pop-ups contain a private message input field that can be used to send private messages to only that user -- (particularly nice for staffers in a call center)
- Multiple Languages - havChat's chat applets are localized for multiple languages. Current languages include Dutch, English (default), French, German, Italian and Spanish. Other languages will be added according to demand.
- Moderated Chat - when a room is Moderated, Moderator, Admin and users with "Speaker" privilege can send messages to all users in the room - messages from non-speakers go to Moderator only. --- nice little GUI popup to help Moderators grant and revoke Speaker privilege as needed.
- Whiteboard - can be initialized with a picture - all speakers in the room can draw on the whiteboard --- pictures can be saved and/or printed locally.
- User Privilege levels: Admin, Moderator, Speaker, Logger, TourGuide
- "Ghost User" can be in the room but not be seen by other chatters - can still interact as required - good way to monitor room activity and be able to kick exile roudy characters if needed.
- Users can have UserID/Passwords or not - "Private" Rooms require passworded users.
- Typical Admin Features: (kick, exile, add/edit/delete passworded users, grant/revoke privileges, open/close rooms, make rooms moderated/unModerated and public/private, restrict access to applets on specified pages only, change various room attributes, etc.)
- Passworded users can edit their own user info (including id and password).
- Tour Guides can pop open browser windows on chatters' machines - chatters can opt out of tours.
- Users can control certain applet presentation attributes (like font, size colors etc.)
- Customizable LOGO and HELP files as well as basic applet color scheme.